‘As the ancestors journeyed over the land, their actions gave it form, created the natural features such as rivers and ranges. The land they shaped is today occupied by their descendants.’

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Travelling the Trave - Start

At the beginning of last month (October 2011) I travelled down the river Trave, which flows throw my birth town Lübeck in Germany. (For more info on the river Trave and Lübeck see the Pages tabs to the left.)

I did this travel in a kajak and the experience of flowing down in the middle of the river was a totally different experience than walking beside it as we did along the Thames. Floating on the water and travelling at the same height as the water surface really connects the body with the mass of the river, its depth and 'spirit', or characteristics, so to say. And the element of Water! Through my hip I could feel the river's ground and the earth and geology which it shapes its way through.

This endeavour took me four days till I reached the Baltic Sea, at a time when autumn was setting in and nights were getting cold. At the end of the journey I had a bath in the Baltic.

I will share a few impressions and photos on this blog.

The source of the Trave - an overgrown pond!

An offering

Leaving the yellow ribbon

Distance Buoy from source to sea - 124km

Many thanks to the Kanuzentrale Lübeck (for being super easy going, flexible and helpful with tips and tricks), the GEDOK Schleswig-Holstein, and my Dad.